Do not give up hope! Things are changing exponentially.
There’s a ton of momentum to get more women and minorities into tech. The world is full of all kinds of people, and these people need software, apps, gadgets, what-have-you to serve their needs and meet their demands.
Newsflash: a bunch of white dudes can’t always meet the demands of the entire freakin planet, which, by the way, is comprised of more women than men. We need thoughtful developers from all genders and groups if we’re going to make tech relevant and useful to EVERYONE.
This list should comfort and motivate you—
Organizations/Schools for female programmers and women in tech:
• Women’s Coding Collective - https://thewc.co/
• Girl Develop It - http://www.girldevelopit.com/
• Ada Developers Academy, Women’s Code School - http://adadevelopersacademy.org/
• MIT Women’s Technology Program - http://wtp.mit.edu/
• Hackbright Academy - http://www.hackbrightacademy.com/
• Rails Girls - http://railsgirls.com/
• Girls Who Code - http://www.girlswhocode.com/
• Black Girls Code - http://www.blackgirlscode.com/
• Girls Learning Code - http://girlslearningcode.com/
• Women in Technology - http://www.womenintechnology.org/
• Women && Tech - http://womenandtech.com/
Examples of Companies Donating Money:
• Etsy Hacker Grants for Women - http://www.etsy.com/hacker-grants
• Google Women in Tech Conference and Travel Grants - https://www.google.com/edu/students/women-in-tech-conference-and-travel-grants/
• Google sponsors over $150k of grants for female programmers - https://www.hackerschool.com/blog/29-google-sponsors-grants-for-female-programmers
Women in Tech to Follow:
• @melindagates - https://twitter.com/melindagates
• @shanley - https://twitter.com/shanley
• @ashedryden - https://twitter.com/ashedryden
• @ameliagreenhall - https://twitter.com/ameliagreenhall
• @JFriedhoff - https://twitter.com/JFriedhoff
• @aminatou - https://twitter.com/aminatou
• @angelinamagnum - https://twitter.com/angelinamagnum
• @gwenshap - https://twitter.com/gwenshap
• @marthakelly - https://twitter.com/marthakelly
Stuff to Read:
• Model View Culture - http://modelviewculture.com/ - a zine
• Medium.com - https://medium.com/search?q=women%20in%20tech - search for women in tech, female tech, etc.
If you need advice from women in tech, join the Systers mailing list - http://anitaborg.org/get-involved/systers/. It’s a really supportive community.
The above list is a small handful of stuff that I just pulled out of my bookmarks. But it proves my point that women in tech are NOT alone. We’re out there, and we’re vocal, and we’re going to make things better.
So welcome! We’re happy to have you :
P.S. Did you know that a woman wrote the first modern programming language? And coined the term debugging? Grace Hopper <3 - http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/hopper.html